Monday, August 04, 2008

Let me take you back to August 4th 1993

15 years ago today, Ian entered the MTC in preparation to serve his mission in the tiniest corner of the world, the Micronesian Islands. I wish I had a scanner so I could post some early missionary pictures of Ian. They are great for anyone who needs a laugh. It's believed Ian hit puberty while on his mission. He left a little boy who never shaved a day in his life, and returned 2 years later with a 5 o'clock shadow by noon. He served on many islands and speaks Chuuckees, an Islander language only about 45,000 people in the world speak, 99% of which still live on the island. Now, 15 years later, today, living in obscure Idaho, working for the County Public Defenders Office, Ian is doing his best to recall the Chuuckees language because he has a couple "clients" from the Chuuk Lagoon in the Micronesian Islands. WHAT ARE THE ODDS???

Happy 15 years Ian!

P.S. by Ian: Here sweetie, I can help you with some photos . . .



5 comments:

THE BANGARTS said...

I bet if he shaved his head everyday, his hair would still be that big by the end of the day.

Whitney said...

He looks the same, . . . only apparently his cheeks needed to see as well (hence the gigantic glasses). I'd love to see some pictures of you in glasses Natalie. If you can't find any, I'm sure I can dig some up. :)

Montay said...

Wow Ian those are some BIG coconuts !!!

Amy said...

Hi Natalie, it's Amy. Last time you saw me my face was bloated and so was my body. Even more after I ate that Pizza Hut. As a fellow MGM alumni, I was so happy to read this post. I can tell you that I am sure Ian misses fried fish, Spam, coconuts, and sweating profusely. I freaking love the Chuukese folk and just the other day I started singing "Love at Home" in Chuukese to Ramir and he was like, "huh?" Tell Ian hi...

Whitney said...

Lucky Nat. Amy comments on your blog and I'm not even sure she even looks at mine! I must have been a bad BFF in high school.