Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A smile never to be forgotten!

Right before Tatem and I went to Ohio and Indiana, we made a stop in Utah to visit our family and friends. One family we visited was Coby and Tiffany, and their boys (their monkeys) Corbin and Jackson. They are our best friends from our Michigan days. Dinner didn't turn out quite like Tiffany was expecting so Coby ran to Wendys and brought home some burgers. One soda was shared between all of us, Jackson making sure his portion was in his favorite cup with a straw. We enjoyed a fun dinner while we all stole fries from Cobrin. Well, I know I was eating fries that weren't my own.
Jackie

The next day Tiffany and I took our kids to the Gateway Olympic Fountain. Corbin and Jackson ran around in delight as the water splashed all around them. Corbin would let the water spray him in the face, while Jackson kept his face toward the sky drinking his empty bottle. Tatem got a kick out of watching both of them giggle and squeal being soaked and amused by the dancing water. I got a kick out of watching Tiffany! She was giggling and squealing just as much as her boys were. I remember thinking 'now there's a mom who knows how to have fun with her kids'. I think Cobrin and Jackson enjoyed every adventure that much more because they knew their Mom was enjoying it too.
Tiffany and Jackie
A week ago we received the devastating news that Jackson drowned and passed away later at the hospital. The heavens opened for a brief moment and allowed the angels to take home our friend, little blue eyed baby boy, Jackson. My heart ached for Coby and Tiffany. I cried knowing their pain must be so unbearable. With broken hearts, yet with renewed assurance of the peace and hope the gospel brings, Ian and I held Tatem a little tighter that day.

We were able to attend the funeral services for Jack and were honored to learn more about the life and mission of this sweet boy. I also felt honored to be associated with, and to give a big hug to Coby and Tiffany knowing they are the parents of a very choice, noble son of God. Though they may have been feeling broken and empty inside, I could feel an indescribable strength that came from the both of them when they were standing together.

It's at times like this that the Gospel becomes so real to me. The Atonement really happened. God gave his only begotten Son. The covenants we make in the temple are binding. Our families can be forever! Thank you Coby and Tiffany for your examples of courage, selfless love, faith, and commitment to your personal testimonies. Thank you Jackie for your signature smile, your energy, your laugh, your curiosity, your joy!

4 comments:

Kim said...

I love the pictures!

Brittni Schroeder Photography said...

That was so sweet!

Janee said...

Thank you for posting this Nat. What beautiful pictures!

Julie said...

okay so bawling! Man that is a tough story and her website is absolutely inspiring! The strength of some people is amaizng!