Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bread of Life

Now that I'm a stay-at-home mom, I decided it's time for me to learn how to make bread. I was explaining this to my morning walking friend, Holly, and she recommended I swing by D.I. and pick out a bread maker, claiming the D.I. has tons.

They probably have tons because of all of the new stay-at-home moms who get excited to make bread, ask for a bread maker for a birthday or Christmas, then use it once or twice, then find that a bread maker takes up a lot of space, sits in the pantry shelf for a year, rarely gets used, and then gets donated to the D.I.
Holly helped me pick out the best break maker there. It looks brown new (inside family joke). It still had the protective film on the buttons and came with an instruction manual. Purchasing price $15!! Holly emailed me her favorite recipe and I quickly made my first loaf which turned out fabulous. It was entirely impossible to wait the recommended 30 minutes before slicing! Truth be told, we didn't even slice it. Ian and I split it and devoured it like the last remaining chocolate candy bar on the face of the earth.
Now worried that homemade bread may overtake our lives...and our waistlines...I looked up healthy bread recipes on my favorite food website, www.kraftfoods.com. I found Bread Machine Applesauce Granola Bread labeled Fiber rich, Low fat. Perfect. So off I was making another loaf of bread. Apparently this recipe has LOTS of fiber in it because I swear I pooped five times just from the aroma of the bread baking! Final product, again, absolutely fabulous! I think we are in trouble over here! I'm addicted! Next, I plan of trying the Blueberry Yogurt Bread. YUM!
So, if the trend is correct, I should be making about 5 or 6 more loaves then moving the machine to my pantry shelf where it will sit, unused, for perhaps a year, then donating my bread maker back to the D.I. But in the meantime, I'm loving it!

8 comments:

Brittni Schroeder Photography said...

Nice! I love a good poop story! You are so domestic! I love it!

Ashlee said...

Holly told me about DI too, but I haven't made it over there yet. I honestly wasn't sure where I'd put it once I got it. But her bread is always so good! I'm jealous!

THE BANGARTS said...

Yogurt bread? gross. Why don't you make something worth while like banana bread with chocolate chips!?? Now there's some good eats!!

ba and the boys said...

ok-email me the receipe...baandtheboys@yahoo.com
i cant even amke cread in a bread maker...but chris can

Kyle said...

Okay...I got a bread maker for a wedding gift and I use it all the time...I have a recipe for french bread and I make it too much (it's Bensons favorite). Let me know if you want the recipe!

Do you have a journal that you write everything you hear...how could you possibly remember a new years resolution I made 10 years ago? Seriously!

Hope you don't mind...I'm going to link you on my blog :)

Jenny said...

Way to go Susie Homemaker!

Katie said...

ha- so funny, that's totally me. Bought a breadmaker, used it a few times, now it's collecting dust. But you're inspiring me... I'm thinking about getting it out...emphasis on thinking.

roseanne said...

Ha HA Ha!!! I am one of those who begged for one, got one and used it like 4 times, gave it to DI... I have tried so MANY time to make bread. Unless Sage is somehow involved all I can make is Hockey pucks and bricks...
When the time comes for food storage I plan on making tortillas!!! Now that I can do! But, It is a well documented fact...Bread and jello hate me.