Monday, June 18, 2007

Seriously! When do people with children find time to update their blogs? Cute stories. Cute pictures. Cute blog layouts! I'm jealous! When do you find the time? I only have a husband and a hemorrhoid that flares up everyone once in a while and I can't keep up! (Picture not included. You're welcome!)

SO MUCH has happened in my life in the last two weeks that there is no way I can catch up. And because I hate BULK BLOGGING almost more than I hate forwarded emails, I will attempt to update one story at a time, more frequently*.

*Don't hold your breath

The good ol' BSA has an annual
GOLF OUTING FOR SCOUTING
.
Although Ian would much rather
be a participant in the event,
I MADE him be a volunteer. We were assigned Hole 4,
par 3, slight up hill, 187 yard, over the lake, pin placement in center of the green,
a sporadically gusty breeze to the right, forest lining the right, sand trap to the left.

There was a 40 foot circle drawn around the pin.
For only $5, a golfer could double his money if he hit the ball into the circle.
I was the attractive carnival caller/money collector at the tee box.
Ian was the handsome circle monitor on the green.

Ian also was a self-appointed caddy to any golfer who wasn't looking for caddy advise. He had plenty of time in between teams to read the greens with the balls he found in the trees, which were many. So, there I am all day, thinking I'm so cute, asking all these men to hand over their money to participate in the "HIT IT IN THE CIRCLE" game! It required a bit of coaxing/flirting to get the money, batting my eyelashes, flashing my mother of pearly whites, and exposing my witt and charm. Three hours, and about 140 participants later, another volunteer shows up to relieve me for a 5 min break. With wide eyes and a pointed finger at my face, he yells,
"WHOA!!! You have a HUGE mosquito bite on your chin!! It's so big! WOW, I've never seen anything so huge before! Doesn't that hurt? Oh my gosh, it's GIGANTIC!"
I reach up to check the validity of his proclamation to the world and, sure enough, my chin was nearly numb by the sheer pressure of the swelling! IT WAS HUGE!
First thought: How long has that been there and how many people saw it!?!?
Second thought: I'm not cute at all!! Who was I kidding!
Third thought: Were the golfers giving me money to play the game OR did they think they were donating to my future plastic surgery to remove the growing tumor from my chin!!?!?!?
To the Club House STAT!
With the Michigan breeze thrashing through my hair, I furiously sped off in my golf cart reaching speeds of nearly 3 miles per hour! After driving through a few sand traps, I drove right into the camouflaged swamplands near the 17th faraway. I prayed, "please little golf cart, please don't get stuck. Not here. Not now." I started to bounce up and down on my seat, hoping to free myself from the swallowing mud hole. Mud was flinging in all directions, including up my back, from the spinning tires. At last, I reach the Club House to assess the damage!
GOSH! I'm already board of my own story! This is taking forever to tell!
See! I hate to blog!
I quit!
Blah, blah, blah, we had a great day.
The end.

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

I LOVE IT!!! I only wish I were there to help you get stuck in the muddy swamp! I can just imagine Ian's face when we had to get him to help us out. I believe it would have been a look that Lex Luther always gave Kitty on Superman! Hahahaha!!!

roseanne said...

YOU ARE HILARIOUS!! I'm still there stuck on the cliff hanger laughing...

Jill said...

Ok Natalie! I am back and I have now officially dropped my boycott on your blog due to it's lack of updates. You have outdone yourself here! And BTW, I think the golfers never even got around to seeing the mesquito bite on your chin. I'm sure they couldn't keep their eyes off your other 2 HUGE mesquito bites!!! And that's why you got so many donations! :)

Sarah said...

Jill, I don't know you, but I like you! I am laughing so hard at your comment.
Natalie, I am so proud of us for both updating our blogs. We really bring out the best in each other..always have. Never would have gotten our master's degress if it wasn't for each others support.
Keep blogging!

Brittni Schroeder Photography said...

Okay your updates are getting a little better...I said a little. Funny about that mesquito bite, I have about 5 on my face, but I call them zits!

Natalie Service said...

Well, to actually finish the story - I reached the club house and was on my way into the bathroom when another kind-hearted volunteer also pointed his finger at my face and before he could even say anything, I said, "I KNOW!!"

He told me to wait right there. Ummm HELLO??! Here? Right in the middle of the Club House reception area? Where EVERYONE walks thru??

So I stood with my face close to the wall and acted like I was interrested in the painting in front of me. A LONG time later, like 30 to 40 seconds, he reappeared with an alchol soaked paper towel and told me to put it on my monstrosity. I covered my entire chin with the towel - I held it to my bite, which by now measured a good inch in all directions. It wasn't until about 30 seconds later that I realized the wet towel was actually soaked with mens aftershave!

I AM NOW DOUSED IN AFTERSHAVE!...

Back out to the green to flirt with the men while smelling like a man!

Brittni Schroeder Photography said...

You are a riot! Seriously you and my good guy friend are the funniest people I know.

I am sorry...I couldn't help myself. You really are funny though!

holley family said...

i so miss your stories nat!
it's so good to see how you're doing! oh and it's only like a 10 hour drive to our house from yours btw!!!!