Thursday, March 20, 2008

Exception to the rule...

I've mentioned it before, but I'll say it again: It's hard not having the Internet at home. We've discovered it to be a luxury and not a necessity at home. It's wise for the budget but in all reality, I think it's crap! So, to use the Internet, I have to go to the Twin Falls Public Library where there are 20 computers for public use. Because I live in the Twin Falls city limits, it's free. Sweet!

Happily I signed up for my very own Library Card so I could have access to a computer. I immediately asked to "check out" a computer. The attendant took my card, scanned it, gave me a computer #3, and told me I had an hour. At the end of my hour, they would give me back my library card.

"AN HOUR??? " I asked in dismay.

"Yes, an hour. You are limited to one hour of computer time a day."

"ONE HOUR, PER DAY??" That's weird. Honestly, I wasn't so sure I could honor this absurd rule. Besides, there are 20 computers and only about 3 of them were currently being used.

A day later, I told Ian about this "hour" rule. Then I joked, "What are they going to do, tap me on my shoulder when my hour is up and kick me off?" We laughed because, seriously, would they do that?

YES, THEY WOULD DO THAT!!

The next day, I went to the library, "checked out" a computer, handed over my card, they scanned it, and gave me computer #11. Yes, I was watching the clock, but I was sure this crazy "hour" rule didn't apply to me today since there were only 5 other people in the entire library. I think I was the only one even using the computers!

An hour and 20 minutes into my computer time, sure enough, I got a tap on my shoulder.

"You need to finish up. Your hour is long gone."

Taken by surprise, I looked at the attendant with a half grin, thinking he was only doing his job, but that he would let me finish my blog stalking, which perhaps would take at least another hour. He stood there...waiting for me to log off. Hmmm, I guess this rule does applies to me today. I'll have to try again tomorrow, I thought

A few days later, I went to the library, handed over my card, they scanned it, and gave me computer #9. I made a conscious mental note to count how many computers were being used. I counted 3 others. So, as another conscious mental note, I told myself the "hour" rule definitely did NOT apply to me today!

1 hour and 30 minutes later - TAP! TAP! TAP! What the...

"Please finish up. Your hour is over."

"Hello - do you see a line of people needing to use this particular computer or any of the other available 16 computers? I'm a freaking city tax payer, I can use this computer as long as I want!" Don't worry, I only thought that, I actually didn't say it.

I took another 10 minutes to "finish up" and log off. I went up to the front desk to retrieve my card and was informed,

"Your card is currently put on "probation status" because of your lack of observance to the "hour" rule. If you go over one more time, your computer privileges will be taken away."

You know me, laughter comes easily. I almost laughed in her face. Well, actually, if you KNOW me, I almost cackled in her face. But luckily, I was able to refrain. I nodded politely, put my card in my purse and walked away. Seriously! Cant they see I'm a 33 year old, 9 month pregnant women! THE RULES DON'T APPLY TO ME!!!

I guess I'll just have to see if this "probation status" really effects me. I'm going to see if I can get up to an hour and 45 minutes tomorrow!

11 comments:

Brittni Schroeder Photography said...

That library worker is freakin crazy messing with a hormonal woman. Please don't beat them up...please!

Katie said...

that was hilarious. i hope you continue to run the risk of permanent suspension and being banned from the library to blog. totally, totally worth it. sacrifice yourself for the greater good, natalie!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
THE BANGARTS said...

Too funny. I would be the one to say something about the 16 free computers and to not mess with my blog stalking time...something along those lines. So what if you come back later in the same day, or is it one hour per day? Tell them Ian is a lawyer...that seems so scare people sometimes.

ba and the boys said...

well i hope you read this before your priviage is taken agaw!
i would ask for a library manager and talk to them about it. seriously, after baby is born, you wont be coming back for a bit anyhow! so you can use your hours now!
and you go girl-buck the system!
ba

roseanne said...

Take it to the mayor!! I'm not sure what he could do but it sounds good doesn't it...

jdb in AZ said...

Hey, Bratalie! Have you been charged with justifiable homicide yet? Not every public defender hasta represent his wife in his first felony trial. 8^)

aunt Judy

The Robinson Family said...

I am with you Nat, I am not a rules kind of girl. Good luck with the hour and forty five!

Janee said...

Oh man, that is hilarious! What the...?!

LOL - the rules NEVER apply to me. I would have told that lady to PISS OFF and probably have been blacklisted from all the public libraries. That's just how I roll...

Whitney said...

Just don't mention Bill and Marci's name, I'm sure they still have a good reputation there. Way to make your first impression upon Twin Falls a good one. May I make a request? Please, if you do happen to make a huge scene, please obtain video footage of it so we can all enjoy!

Jenny said...

Do you want me to talk to them? I'll put 'em in their place. Don't make me come out there....